Everything You Need to Know About Foundation
Hey you all,
No matter whether you are into makeup or no, you know or might have heard about ‘foundation’… So, today I thought of sharing everything I know about foundation with you guys…
Foundation, as the name suggests it is used for a perfect base. It evens out the skin tone and hides the flaws like acne marks, fine lines etc. Some uses it to change their natural skin tone(trust me, its not a good idea.) Plenty of foundations, of different brands and multiple shades are available in the market. You just have to find the right shade and right type of foundation, to enhance your natural skin tone.
Types of Foundation:
1. Oil-Free, Matte-Finish Liquid Foundations – These are suitable for oily skinned beauties. These foundations covers up the flaws and give you matte look without making you look greasy/ dewy. Beauties with normal / dry skin do not opt for this one. You might end up with dry and flaky skin.
2. Long-Wearing, Matte-Finish Liquid Foundations – These are again for oily skin. They are different from the above one in terms of their consistency. These are more runny in terms of texture and long lasting. Application of these is quite easy.
3. Moisturizing Liquid Foundations – These are for the normal to dry skinned girls. Some of them also have skin repairing qualities.
4. Pressed Powder Foundations – These are like pressed powders. They are well suited for normal to dry skin. They provide you with light to medium coverage.
5. Cream-to-Powder Compact Foundations – These are like a mixture of creamy and powder foundations. These are suitable for normal skin. Its coverage is more than the cream/powder foundations.
6. Stick Foundations – These are Cream-to-Powder Compact Foundations in a tube packing. The packing makes it easier for application.
7. Sheer Foundations and Tinted Moisturizers – These are multipurpose creamy foundations. They add moisture, gives coverage and protection from sun(SPF content).
8. Mineral Makeup – Powder foundation with more coverage.
How to find right foundation as per your skin type:
1. Dry Skin:
If your skin is dry, go for the moisturizing foundations. Using sponge/ brush might make skin dry, so apply it using fingers.
2. Normal Skin:
These are the lucky ones. They can flaunt any type of foundation.
3. Oily skin:
Opt for the medium to full coverage, non oily foundation to avoid the greasy/ oily look. Applying foundation using sponge/ brush is recommended.
4. Combination skin:
You can choose liquid foundation. You can set it by apply powder foundation to your T zone to avoid the greasiness around the nose and forehead.
5. Aged skin:
In order to avoid fine lines and deposition of foundation on wrinkles, go for light coverage liquid foundation or tinted moisturizers.
6. Sensitive skin:
Medium to full coverage foundation is a must. But, I would personally suggest to check the ingredients before choosing one. The chemicals in there, should not worsen the situation. Hence prevention is better than cure.
How to choose right shade of Foundation:
These are the tips I am giving you out of my or my friend’s experience. :
1. Do not buy them online. You might think that the shade you see over the internet suits you. But, unless and until you try it, do not assume any shade.
2. Try the foundation on your forehead instead of on your wrist. The skin texture and color differs from wrist to face. For this, go bare face to store and try the shade which you think suits. Choose the one which matches exactly to your skin tone.
3. Do not buy the shade which is lighter / darker than your natural tone. This will never look good. Lighter shade will make you look like a ghost and darker one makes you look like a tanned face girl.
4. Invest in a good branded foundation. Your skin’s health should be the priority.
Types of Foundation Applicator and how to use them:
1. Foundation Brush:
a. Take required amount of foundation on your wrist/ palm.
b. Dip the brush in it and with upward stroke, apply foundation on your face.
c. You can use your fingers to blend those fine lines.
d. This makes liquid foundation application easy.
2. Beauty Blender Sponge:
a. Dip the sponge in water.
b. Squeeze the excess water. (This will avoid product wastage, as the wet sponge won’t be able to absorb foundation. This also makes foundation light and easy to apply.)
c. Dab foundation on your face using the sponge.
d. You can use either fingers or the sponge itself to blend it.
e. Use the tip for application on or around nose and eyes.
f. Broader end is for application over the forehead, chin and cheeks.
g. This is best for applying liquid foundation.
3. Powder sponge:
a. Press the powder against the foundation cake.
b. Press it on your face lightly for maximum coverage.
c. Do not rub it on face, this will remove the makeup instead of settling foundation on face.
4. The natural one – your fingers:
a. You can take sufficient amount of foundation on your finger tips.
b. Apply it on your face with circular motion.
c. I personally recommend this because the blending is really easy and product wastage will be minimal.
How to Apply Foundation:
a. Prepare your face before applying foundation , by applying primer. (Primer is a clear gel, which shrinks the pores. This makes face look more even and clean.)
b. You can use concealer before or after foundation. This hides the marks/ uneven skin tone.
c. Now you can apply the right shade foundation suitable for your skin type.
d. You can use any applicator of your choice, whichever you are comfortable with.
Some more tips:
1. Always apply foundation on a clean fresh face.
2. Maintain hygiene. Keep your brushes/ sponges clean. (Will write separate post on how to clean the beauty tools soon.)
Hope you find these tips useful… 🙂