Home Remedies to Cure Prickly Heat Rashes
Changes are always difficult in the beginning. Be it a change in life or change in weather. Haha.
April has just started and sun has already started to work on his skills to shine brighter in coming months.
As much as I love summer, the facts like some skin issues and stuffs, make me meh for summer. Even though I’m sensitive for cold than heat, this time even I have started facing some heat pimples. My sister, she is at her worst during summers. She can’t just withstand the heat. Phew… Poor baby girl, she starts complaining about these small pimples she gets at the beginning of summer. Every summer. Which we technically call prickly heat rashes.
I’m pretty sure this must be the case for most of you out there. Let’s get to know what are these rashes are about and how exactly they are caused. Are you ready???
What are Prickly Heat Rashes??
They are small red, itchy rashes caused due to heat. They also have prickling or stinging sensation.
How They Are Caused?
These are the rashes that are caused when a person sweats more than usual and the sweat glands get blocked.
Babies are also prone to get effected by these nasty rashes as their sweat glands are not fully developed.
So when skin cells breath, because of skin’s dead cells and bacteria clogs the pores. Thus skin cells are blocked and sweat is trapped inside skin cells. This is what formes these rashes. As and when you burst the rash or pimple, the sweat gets released thus causing stinging or prickling sensation.
Even though they get cured on their own within few days, for some it might take a bit long time to get cured completely.
In some severe cases, heat rashes can disturb the body heat mechanism and cause heat exhaustion.
How to Cure Prickly Heat Rashes???
- Doctors always suggests to keep the effected area cool and dry. You must have seen the TV commercials of prickly heat powders. The idea here is, not that the powder gives you cooling effect. But it keeps area dry and avoiding further infection. ( I remember my sister keeping the powder inside freezer before applying. She used to get such a relief. )
- Avoid sweating for the obvious reasons. Keep yourself cool by the help of fans, air conditioner or a shower.
- Avoid using heavy creams as they clog your pores more. This is why we need to change our skin care products with a summer friendly one.
- Wear cotton and flowy clothes. Avoid skin tight clothes. Let your skin breath.
- Use aloe vera gel. You guys know how soothing and cooling effect this natural gel gives you. All you need to apply a thin layer of it on effected area to get the relief. Check out more benefits of aloe vera here.
- Fuller earth to the rescue. Apply a paste of Fuller earth on prickly heat rashes. This helps in unclogging the pores. This helps in healing pimples.
- Applying a dilute baking soda solution also works as the baking soda has antibacterial properties.
- Potato is one more natural remedy which helps in soothing the skin. Apply it’s juice to heal the rashes.
- The creator of the Earth is the ultimate intelligent person. The seasonal fruits are one of the proofs for that. I mean watermelons are the ultimate weapon to beat the heat. Be it by consuming it or by applying it’s juice on the rashes. It works either way. What you might not know is watermelons have antibacterial properties in them. Thus killing bacteria which is the reason for the rashes.
- Ginger, you know how prominent it is in the books of Ayurveda. It has antibacterial properties thus you can use it’s juice to cure the rashes.
- Lime juice, my favorite. Consuming lime juice helps in cooling down body temperature. Also it fastens the healing process.
- Apply honey on rashes to get rid of itchiness. Honey has antibacterial and moisturizing properties.
- Cucumber is one more summer essential. All thanks to it’s high water content. Applying or placing cool cucumber slices on body helps in healing and consuming cucumber helps to maintain healthy body temperature.
- You must have read my post about apple cider vinegar. How beautifully it works on skin. Apply diluted ACV to soothe the rashes.
- Coconut oil is every south Indian’s essential part of day to day life. It has tons of benefits. Check out this post to know more about how it works on skin.
Hope these remedies help you or your loved ones who might be suffering from these prickly heat rashes this summer…
So, are you summer ready??? Well, with these remedies you will definitely care free to welcome summer… 😊😘