What is a Gua Sha tool?
It’s a traditional Chinese medicine tool used to scrape body skin. Facial gua sha is a modified version of it.
How does it works?
It is targeting a stagnant energy in the body, that is the cause for inflammation. Rubbing the tool against the skin helps in breaking this energy, reduce inflammation and thus promotes healing. It also helps in blood circulation.
It was also believed that it helps in getting rid of body heat and negative energy.
What are they made of?
Authentic Gua sha are made of natural materials like, gem stones, animal bone, animal horn etc. Mostly used Gua sha are made of jade or rose quartz or mineral rich stone and shaped in order to fit the contours of face.
However, unlike Jade roller, Gua sha is not about the contact of the stone with skin. It’s about right scraping techniques.
What do you need to use this technique?
Firstly, a gua sha tool. Your favourite skin care product. Be it mist, serum or cream.
Apply the product before using the tool.
How to use it?
With gentle strokes, massage your face with the tool, while applying light to medium pressure. Use the flat surface more than the edge.
Order of massage would be:
2. Jaw line
3. Under eye are
4. Nose bridge
5. Brow bone
Can we use it daily?
Professionals recommend three times a week for around 15 minutes.
1. Upward strokes helps in lifting and firming the skin.
2. Increased blood flow.
3. Removes stagnant lymph from tissue. This helps in reducing puffiness.
4. With regular use, reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Reduces tension in face, neck and shoulder.
6. Helps in better absorption of the products.
1. Always apply a cream or oil before using Gua sha. Using the tool on dry surface causes more friction and thus cause more damage to skin.
2. If you have inflammation or pimples or open wound, do not use the tool on them. Use it round them.
3. If you have sunburn, do not use the tool.
4. If you use retinol or any chemical exfoliation, you should be extra cautious while using the tool.
5. Make sure you apply little pressure. If you apply more pressure than needed, this can result in skin breakage.
6. Be careful with the edges. If the tool has any damage and has sharp edge, please get rid of the tool immediately.