One of my intentions of this year being the healthier and fitter version myself, I have started with some of good healthy habits. One among them is drinking green tea…!!! Yes. weight loss or fitness discussion is incomplete without mentioning this magical drink called green tea. I have seen and heard people consuming this tea without knowing what actually it does to our body. How it actually works… Everybody knows that green tea is healthiest drink for body. But, what not everybody knows that drinking green tea has disadvantages also…!!!
I have gathered some information from people who have been consuming this ‘healthy’ drink since good long time and from other resources. Let me share you the information I got about Green tea.
Green tea’s origin:
Green tea is mostly popular in eastern countries like Japan, Thailand, India etc.
From where green tea is extracted:
Different types of tea powder are prepared from Camellia sinensis plant. The dried leaves and leaf buds are powdered to prepare tea powder. Different types of tea powder preparation involves different processioning methods. Well, our topic of the day – green tea, is prepared by steaming and pan-frying these leaves and then drying them.
What it contains???
Green tea contains two to four percent of caffeine. Also contains antioxidants.
How to prepare green tea???
There are many brands out there who offer a lot many flavored and unflavored green tea powders and tea bags. Just the way you prepare regular tea, instead of regular tea powder you will have to add green tea powder to milk. But if you are aiming for weight loss, do skip milk and sugar. Just hot water and green tea powder should be enough. If you didn’t like the taste, you can add natural sweetener like honey. Skip sugar my dear honey.
How does it tastes???
I have started using Lipton green tea – Tulsi flavor. You just have to dip green tea bag in a cup of hot water for few minutes and close your eyes and drink. Closing your eyes is optional. haha. But, honestly it doesn’t tastes good but health comes before taste you know…!!!
How to consume green tea rightly???
This is something really important in order to get most out of this healthy drink.
- Maximum quantity of green tea per day is 1200 ml, i.e. not more than 5 cups.
- Green tea should not be consumed on empty stomach as it might cause liver toxicity.
- If you have any medical history or pregnant, consultation about preferred quantity is must.
- Never sip it in night unless you work as a watchman who is expected to be awake the whole night. You know what I mean.
- Do not consume right after your meal. At least two hours of difference should be there between meal and green tea consumption. Because green tea doesn’t let your body consume the iron and other beneficial contents from the meal.
- Consume loads of water on consuming green tea. You will find out why in the disadvantage section below.
Advantages of Drinking green tea:
These are the advantages you will get if you consume green tea rightly.
- Improves mental alertness.
- It increases urine output. Thus helps in getting rid of toxins from the body. Detoxification is so important in order to keep body healthy. You can check this post about how to detox body in different ways.
- Weight loss
- Good for skin
- Stomach disorders
- Good home remedy for vomiting, diarrhea, headache and bone loss
- It has been proved that it has anti cancer property. Helps in preventing different types of cancer.
- Helpful to keep your heart safe from diseases(not from other hear breaks though). Like, blood pressure, blood vessels issues etc.
- Good for diabetic patients.
- Parkinson’s disease can also be prevented.
- Dental cavities and kidney stones can be avoided by drinking green tea.
- Cures depression
- Remedy for inflammatory bowel disease
- It prevents inflammation and swelling
- Protects cartilage between the bones
- Lessens joint degeneration
Advantages of Applying Green Tea:
- You can also apply green tea on your face to soothe skin.
- It also controls the damage done by exposure to sun.
- Puffiness under eyes??? Place a wet green tea bag under your eyes. Puffiness will disappear in some time.
- You can also add green tea to the water tub while you are getting pedicure. Along with soothing foot it can also cure athlete’s feet.
- Green tea can also be applied on gums to stop the bleeding when tooth extraction is done.
Disadvantages of Drinking Green tea:
Green tea is not as easy as you think it is. It should be consumed rightly in right quantity. Else it will more bad than good to you. If you consume the tea in access quantity all of a sudden, you are inviting more trouble. Here are lesser known facts about it.
- As I said green tea do contains caffeine. This is not a good content for those individual who have anxiety problems or for those ladies who are pregnant. Hence quantity to consumed should be decided after a consultation from a doctor.
- If you exceed the limit of green tea intake per day, you will end up upsetting your stomach plus it might also cause nausea.
- You know, green tea dehydrates your body??? Yes. You will have to drink more and more water if you consume green tea in order to balance the water content in the body.
- It can increase anemia.
- If you have glaucoma, green tea does increases pressure inside eyes. Thus worsening the condition.
- Green tea may prohibit calcium from being absorbed into the bones thus resulting in osteoporosis.
- Green tea can decrease the ability of your body to absorb iron content. Thus iron deficiency…!!
- Might cause insomnia.
- Caffeine can be more hazardous. It might end up irregular heart beats.
- Green tea causes oxidative stress. Which might result in vomiting.
- Excessive caffeine consumption has also been linked to muscle spasms and twitching.
- Caffeine has also been linked to restless leg syndrome.
- Green tea is acidic. It might you suffer from heartburn.
- A study was conducted where green tea extract was found to significantly accelerate the onset of convulsions.
- Caffeine in green tea can increase the risk of bleeding. Hence those who have bleeding disorders, stay away from green tea.
- Green tea quite confusing I must say. There are studies which contradict each other, One study says green tea decreases diabetes and headaches. Whereas the other study says it increases them.
- If green tea is consumed in higher quantity, it will damage liver.
- The commonest skin allergies associated with green tea consumption are eczema and hives.
- Green tea higher consumption results in kidney disorder.
- Thyroid problems might also be caused.
- One study states that consuming green tea too often can lower fertility.
- Green tea does improve oral health but it also stains your teeth. Ooops…!!!
So, these are the points I wanted to share with you my dear reader.
I know disadvantage list is longer than the advantage list. But, green tea is not harmful at all if it is consumed in moderation. Right quantity, right way will achieve the best.
Now you know all about green tea. Please spread the world about this because I know more people who blindly consume green tea in order to lose weight faster. But unfortunately they don’t know that they are harming their body. Do help your friends and loved ones in their fitness and healthy journey by sharing these tips.
Have a healthy week ahead…!!!