When the skin covering our underarm area is few shades darker than our skin tone, that is what we call dark underarms. Yet times, dark underarms can lower the fun and confidence while we are in sleeveless outfits. We tend to hesitate to throw our hands in the air and be free, if we have darker underarms. This post is going to help you with that.
What Causes Dark Underarms:
They say prevention is better than cure. In order to prevent further darkening, let’s see what are the things that are causing dark underarms.
- Dead skin:
Like facial skin, skin covering our body also needs exfoliation. Reason being the accumulation of dark skin cells. As the dead skin accumulate, they make skin look dull and dark.
Shaving cuts the hair, it doesn’t remove the hair from roots. Once we shave, the hair follicles are still there. They make the skin look slightly darker.
I agree that a deodorant is a must to smell good, but I always prefer and suggest to use perfume over a deodorant. Using perfume over the outfit is much better than using it straight on skin. Chemicals in the deodorants can cause skin darkening, if used for longer period of time.
It is a skin condition where the production of melanin (responsible for skin tone) is slightly higher at certain part as compared to the other parts of the body. In this case the extra amount of melanin produced, makes skin look darker. Which we usually call dark patches.
- Tight Clothes:
This might come as a surprise. But skin covering under arm area is slightly thin. The friction caused by the tight clothes can irritate the are underarms and result in discoloration.
- Bacterial Infection:
Due to lack of hygiene, there might be infection caused by bacteria.
- Smoker’s Melanosis:
Smoking kills. It also ruins the skin condition. Smoker’s Melanosis is a condition caused by tobacco where the underarms gets darker.
- Sun exposure:
Not only the underarms, if we get exposed to direct sunlight for longer period, we might end up with sun burns or tanning on the exposed area.
- Hormonal Issues:
If you are under any medications or there is fluctuation in hormones, there is a chance that the skin gets these dark patches.
- Skin Disorders:
There are certain skin disorders which result in dark patches.
How to Cure Dark Underarms:
Now that you know most of the causes for nasty patches, you are half way there. You now know what not to do and what to do to get brighter, healthy underarm skin.!
- Waxing Over Shaving. When we wax, the hair strands are removed from their roots. So the skin won’t look dark.
- As mentioned above, use perfumes on your outfits rather than using it on your skin. But please make sure the perfume won’t leave any stains on your outfit. You need to consider this point especially when it is oil based one.
- Try to avoid wearing tight clothes. Not just because of the dark patches, but also sometimes it causes irritation to small blood veins. Which might also end up causing further more skin issues. Choose free, loose clothes. Let your skin breath.
- Maintaining a good hygiene is the key. Shave the hair on the underarm area frequently. Use talcum powder to keep the area dry and free from bacteria.
- Apply sunscreen on to your underarms if you are going out in sun wearing sleeveless outfits, where the area is going to be exposed directly to sun.
- Scrubbing away the dead cells can make the skin look fresh and bright, it includes the skin covering underarms too. Regular scrubbing the underarm area can give you good results.
- Try some homemade masks using brightening agents like curd or lemon. Apply curd on to the area in need and wash with water after 10 minutes. Lemon juice is slightly acidic and if you have dry or any wounds on the area, lemon juice might cause slight burning sensation. But with regular use, you can get rid of dark patches.
- If the condition didn’t improve despite of following these remedies, please see a good dermatologist. Because if the issue is inside the body (like hormones or skin disorder), a good doctor’s help would surely help.
Hope you find this post useful.
Are you a mountain person or a beach one??? I love both. I discover my inner self between mountains and I find enormous happiness when I play with the waves. Looking at the huge sea/ ocean/ mountain makes me realise how tiny I am in this huge world…!!!
Apart from making us happy and taking care of our mental health, the sea makes our skin more healthy. Did you know that??? Yes, it does. How??? Let me tell you.
Sea water has lots of minerals in it. Which has been proved that it cures many skin issues. I have even heard my granny saying that, wearing accessories made of sea shells can also help to cure skin disorders. Isn’t it amazing??? Making skin healthier with some natural remedies, ahhh sounds perfect to me.
Let me list down some more advantages of sea water to our skin and hair.
- Cures various skin disorders:
As I said earlier, it does cure the skin diseases but how??? Well, sea water contains magnesium, calcium, and potassium in it. Which are the reasons for this magical property of salt water. Sea water absorbs toxins from the skin and bacteria which causes acne thus making skin clear in the long run. It is also proved to cure infection and encouraging healing process.
- Boosts Immune System:
Salt water increases oxygen level in the blood thus strengthening the immune system of the body.
Iodine content of sea water helps in boosting thyroid activity.
- Bye bye Cold and Flu:
It also relieve cold and flu symptoms, as well as to cure bronchitis and sinusitis.
- Treats oily skin:
Sea water absorbs extra oil from the skin. Thus preventing overproduction of natural oil which if not treated might clog the pores resulting in breakouts.
If you are a dry skinned beauty, you really need to apply a good moisturizer post your visit to sea water. Because you don’t want to end up with itchy skin due to lack of moisture.
- Used for good oral health:
Most of you must be familiar with this remedy. Whenever you are suffering from tooth ache, someone must have advised you to gargle mouth with salt water. The reason being, the salt water has anti bacterial property which kills the bacteria which is troubling you.
Even when you are not in any teeth trouble, you can use the salt water as a mouth wash in order to maintain good oral health.
Plus, certain studies say that it cures oral conditions like gingivitis and halitosis also.
- To exfoliate dry skin:
Minerals in the sea water helps in scrubbing the skin cells gently thus unclogging pores and increasing the blood circulation. These open pores are further cleansed by the minerals which in turn helps in better absorption of the product applied on skin later that.
- Relieves muscle pain:
You might have seen people dipping their feet in the tub full of warm salt water to get rid of the pain. The magnesium present in the salt water helps in relieving the muscle pain.
- Beach waves:
We try so many methods, with and without heat to get those dreamy wavy hair. Do you know which is the easiest way to achieve that? One dip in the sea can make you achieve those beach waves. I know not everyone can afford to visit beach everyday. A quick replacement is a spray bottle and salted water. Spraying salt water to hair should also serve the purpose.
So, these were some of the prominent benefits of sea water.
Like I said, not everyone live by the seashore. Visiting one might not be a daily business. So you can try mixing table salt with water to get some benefits. But I must say, sea water is more effective than any other ones.
If you have any skin issues and want to try out salt water bath, you can try some amazing salts with healing properties. Which we call it as Bath salts. You can read this post where I have mentioned what and how does bath salts work.
There are multiple brands which have introduced different flavored bath salts to the market. In case you want to try out pure bath salts, you can prepare one at home. Here is the post where you get step by step details to prepare your own customised bath salts.
The next time you get drenched in sea water, instead of worrying about the stickiness, just feel good about great things it is doing to your skin and body. 😉